New Age Rising
Sulis, or suli-jann, are the descendents of mortals and jann. They manifest their otherworldly heritage in adolescence, or when awakened by an encounter with a genie. Strong and attractive, these dynamic individuals can call forth elemental energies to augment their prowess in combat. Neither genie nor quite human, sulis stand in two worlds and often feel as if they don’t belong to either. When the fey wrought a great spell to banish outsider forces from Arteaia, it resulted in opening the world to the inhabitants of the elemental planes. Over time their presence spawned the jann, who in turn took humans as mates or paramours which saw the creation of the suli race. As suli children would result from mixed or pure breeding, their numbers grew steadily of the countless centuries since their progenitors walked the land. Where sulis don’t share the animosity dwarves and humans have towards elves and the fey, they are not oblivious to the threat they pose either.
Physical Description: The average suli stands as tall as a human, with females being slightly shorter than males. They share many common physical traits with humans, and for the most part can easily pass for one. However, all suli inherit a minor physical trait loosely symbolic of one of the four elements. Some examples include deeply tanned skin, fiery red hair, or pale blue eyes. Suli also share other common traits, such as being exceptionally fit and strong, and being exceptionally attractive.
Society: Suli are just as often born of human or mixed parents as they are suli parents, and tend to live amongst humans. There are some predominately suli communities, and use the same social structures as humans do.
Relations: Sulis get along well with humans, sharing the same communities and generally the same goals. They tend to treat other races with a measure of caution, yet allowing others to prove themselves based on their actions rather than words.
Alignment and Religion: Sulis, like humans, tend to vary considerably in terms of alignment, and are almost as varies as humans in this regard. Suli approach religion on a personal level, rather than popular consensus, yet all share a level of respect for the four elements. A powerful storm at sea, a raging forest fire, or the tremors of an earthquake all stir a suli’s blood, instilling a sense of reverence and awe for the powers of air, earth, fire and water.
Adventurers: Suli quite often take to a life of adventure, the traces of elemental power stirring in them sometimes makes it difficult to settle down to a sedentary life. Suli adventurers value their companions they travel with, and tend to treat them as extended family after sharing adventures together.
Names: Suli names aren’t differentiated by gender, and is not uncommon for men and women to share the same name. The only tradition the suli follow in selecting their names is whether the child bears a physical trait indicative of an element, such as a child born with deeply tanned skin would be given a name with hard consonants and rolling vowels.
SULI RACIAL TRAITS
- +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, –2 Intelligence: Sulis are brawny and charming, but slow-witted.
- Native Outsider: Sulis are outsiders with the native subtype.
- Medium: Sulis are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Sulis have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: Sulis can see twice as far as humans in dim light.
- Negotiator: Sulis are keen negotiators, and gain a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks.
- Elemental Assault (Su): Once per day as a swift action, a suli can shroud her arms in acid, cold, electricity, or fire. This lasts for one round per level, and can be dismissed as a free action. Unarmed strikes with her arms or hands (or attacks with weapons held in those hands) deal +1d6 points of damage of the appropriate energy type.
- Energy Resistance 5: Sulis have resistance to acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5.
- Languages: Sulis begin play speaking Common and one elemental language (Aquan, Auran, Ignan, or Terran). Sulis with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aquan, Auran, Draconic, Ignan, and Terran.
“Click here”: for game information on alternate racial traits and options available to suli characters. DM approval is required if you wish to make use of the alternate traits and rules provided by the Pathfinder SRD.
(This link will take you to the Pathfinder SRD website. Use the ‘Back’ button on your browser to return to this website.)